[复制链接]

主题

帖子

8万

积分

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2011-5-10 04:39:12 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式

如果今天是星期四, 你听到别人说 next Friday (且没有其它解释), 你认为他是指明天呢? 还是指8天后的星期五?

www.ddhw.com

回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

沙发
发表于 2011-5-10 06:51:50 | 只看该作者

回复:类似于开开心心给的数学题, 我问一个英文用法的问题

如果是指明天,一般人会说  "the coming Friday" or simply "on Friday".
所以我会理解为下个星期的 Friday.

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

板凳
发表于 2011-5-10 07:52:29 | 只看该作者

要让next Friday成立 得先有一个Friday here. 比如今天周五聚餐 大家吃得开心

然后领头的说, 'We had fun today, didn't we?  Let's do it again next Friday.' 那就是下周五了.

今天如是周四, 领头的余兴未尽, 明天周五还想请各位聚餐, 他如未醉, 就该说:

'It has been fun.  Let's do it again tomorrow.'

或者说: 'It has been fun.  Let's do it again Friday tomorrow.'
 www.ddhw.com
倘如他说: 'It has been fun.  Let's do it again next Friday,' 
估计他喝多了, 把今天当成了Friday, 或者记不得明天就是Friday.
www.ddhw.com

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

8万

积分

地板
 楼主| 发表于 2011-5-10 09:36:49 | 只看该作者

先回天涯浪子:不尽是这样. 老美单独用next Friday, next September的很多

再回动脑筋MM ----

不少老美会说你的理解是错的.

www.ddhw.com

我觉得,这就是英文里 next Friday, next September, ... 等等说法中使人费解的地方.

www.ddhw.com

中文里, "这星期五"一定是指本星期的星期五(不管你说话时是星期三还是星期六), "下星期五"一定是指下一个星期的星期五, 一点歧义都没有, 多好. 中文里, 说未来的月份, 一定是说"今年九月", 或"明年九月", 也一点歧义都没有, 多好.

www.ddhw.com

英文里, 事情就麻烦多了. next Friday, next September 常常使人非常费解, 但偏偏许多老美喜欢这样说. 严格地说, next Friday 就是指说话时往后的第一个Friday (如果说话时是星期三或星期四, 那next Friday就是后天或明天), next September 就是指说话时往后的第一个September (如果说话时是7月或8月, 那next September就是后个月或下个月). 但在情理上, 当你在星期三或星期四听到next Friday时, 你不得不怀疑也许是指"下个星期的星期五", 同理, 当你在7月或8月听到next September时, 你不得不怀疑也许是指"明年的9月". 因此,即便是老美之间,也往往需要说话方证实到底是哪种意思.

www.ddhw.com

那么, 为了避免混乱, 我个人认为, 在英文中最好是这样说未来的日子: 要说本星期未来的星期五, 就象动脑筋MM说的, 用the coming Friday; 要说下星期的星期五, 就用the Friday of next week. 最好不要用那讨厌的next Friday使人费解. 当然, 在某些没有歧义的情况下, 还是可以用next Friday之类的(比如星期六时说next Friday,那就一定是指下一个星期的星期五了).  www.ddhw.com

同理, 最好这样说未来的月份: 要说今年未来的九月, 用the coming September; 要说明年的九月,就用the September of next year. 最好不要用那讨厌的next September. 当然, 在某些情况下用next September没有歧义(在10月,11月,或12月时).www.ddhw.com

一家之言, 不对请批评指正.

www.ddhw.com

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

5#
发表于 2011-5-10 10:53:23 | 只看该作者

回复:先回天涯浪子:不尽是这样. 老美单独用next Friday, next September的

同样,last 也存在着这样的问题。我在正式的英文文稿中多次遇到 last January、last May之类的,最初毫不犹豫地就理解为去年的月份了,但慢慢从活动内容上发现不对,都是同一年发生的,后来,碰到 last,再也不敢马上确定是去年还是今年了。

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

35万

积分

6#
发表于 2011-5-10 11:24:31 | 只看该作者

如果今天是星期四,next Friday 是指8天后的星期五[;)]

明天的用 tomorrow
www.ddhw.com

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

8万

积分

7#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-5-10 15:28:57 | 只看该作者

那么如果今天是星期三,星期二呢? next Friday是指哪时?我只是用星期四把问题极端化一下

那么如果今天是星期三,星期二呢? next Friday是指哪时?我只是用星期四把问题极端化一下

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

8万

积分

8#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-5-10 15:37:33 | 只看该作者

9494[:-Q]

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

35万

积分

9#
发表于 2011-5-10 16:12:48 | 只看该作者

回复:那么如果今天是星期三,星期二呢? next Friday是指哪时?我只是用星期四把问题极端化一

next Friday 是指 下星期五。

同一星期的,英国人是不用 next Friday 表迖的。
www.ddhw.com

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

8万

积分

10#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-5-10 16:33:27 | 只看该作者

是吗? 那英国人与中国人的说法是一致的. 美国人却不是,够混乱的.

是吗? 那英国人与中国人的说法是一致的. 美国人却不是,够混乱的.

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

35万

积分

11#
发表于 2011-5-10 16:41:04 | 只看该作者

这个只是老美英文用法的问题吧[;)]

同一星期的星期五,用next Friday表迖並不正确。

今天星期二,〝Let's meet Friday" 什么也不补充,英国人、澳洲人、加拿大人都会明白,约会在今个星期五。

只有老美会问〝那个星期五?〞
www.ddhw.com

www.ddhw.com

本贴由[开开心心]最后编辑于:2011-5-10 8:41:53  

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

12#
发表于 2011-5-10 16:59:00 | 只看该作者

[:-M] 美国人/英国人也讨论这问题 - 且听他们如何分解 . . . [;)]

View Full Version : When is next Friday?

Biggirl
06-21-2007, 09:27 AM
It's like living a Seinfeld episode.www.ddhw.com

Someone left me a message on Tuesday that the meeting for Wednesday was moved to next Friday. To me 'next Friday' means, well, the next Friday-- or the Friday coming. The next Friday in line. You know, two days after the first scheduled meeting.

The message leaver, however meant what I would call 'the following Friday'. Or, 'Friday AFTER next'. Nope, says message leaver, I would have said "The meeting was moved from Wednesday to Friday" if I had meant the coming Friday.
www.ddhw.com

Boy, the discussion at work went on for hours. It seems everyone has different interpretations of what "next Friday" means. What does it mean to you?

Anaamika
06-21-2007, 09:28 AM
Next friday is the friday after this friday. So not tomorrow, but June 29 (holy crap, it's already June 21? Where is my summer going?????)

Biggirl
06-21-2007, 09:34 AM
www.ddhw.com
Next friday is the friday after this friday. So not tomorrow, but June 29 (holy crap, it's already June 21? Where is my summer going?????)
So, if I tell you Friday after next, what day is that? July 6th? Because to me, Friday after next would be June 29.

Moriarty
06-21-2007, 09:35 AM
www.ddhw.com
When people tell me "next Friday", my follow up question is generally, "do you mean the next Friday in the world*?" because I, too, am frequently flummoxed by this descrepancy in the word next. FWIW, I agree with your interpretation.www.ddhw.com

*Admittedly not possible when you are told "next Friday" in a message that doesn't allow for follow-up questions.

Mangetout
06-21-2007, 09:38 AM
In my locality (UK), 'next Friday' almost always means 'the Friday that is 7 or more, but less than 14 days in the future' (i.e. usually the Friday of next week), but I think there are other places where it is understood to mean 'the forthcoming Friday'.

Sorry if that wasn't much help - there isn't only one valid answer.www.ddhw.com

BTW, the reason it's like this here is that the forthcoming Friday is 'this Friday'

kathmandu
06-21-2007, 09:42 AM
I agree with Mangetout. While I understand "this Friday" to be, well, this coming Friday and "next Friday" to be more than seven days away, I don't think the term is certain enough to be used in a business setting without clarification.

"Friday after next" to me would mean the Friday after "next Friday".www.ddhw.com

Do you notice when you type "Friday" too many times it starts to look wrong?

Anaamika
06-21-2007, 09:48 AM
So, if I tell you Friday after next, what day is that? July 6th? Because to me, Friday after next would be June 29.
We're into July now.

Stuffy
06-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Friday would be tomorrow.

Next Friday would be the one after that or the 29th.www.ddhw.com

Friday after next is the gray one for me, I coould see also interpreting that as the one after this Friday i.e. the 29th.

Zeldar
06-21-2007, 09:50 AM
www.ddhw.com
Based on the interpretation difficulties already mentioned, if I wanted somebody to do something or be somewhere on a Friday in the near future, I would use the date of the Friday I meant so as to avoid confusion. But that's just me.

If somebody said "next Friday" to me on a Thursday or a Wednesday, I'd probably take it to mean "not this coming Friday -- in a day or two -- but the next one after it." Move the day back to Tuesday or Monday and I'd want to know which Friday was meant. Sunday or Saturday, I'd be pretty sure it would be the one coming up within the same 7-day period.

It definitely varies by region and user. Not a definitely correct answer, even if somebody produces evidence otherwise.www.ddhw.com

It's as vague as "few" and "several."

Lute Skywatcher
06-21-2007, 09:51 AM
"Next Friday" is the Friday next week; the Friday this week is "this Friday", "tomorrow", or "the day after tomrrow", as the case may be.

Crotalus
06-21-2007, 10:03 AM
www.ddhw.com
I am firmly with Zeldar on this one. In a business setting, I believe that any reference to a meeting ought to include the date. The meeting has been moved to Friday, June 22.

Orual
06-21-2007, 10:04 AM
"Next Friday" is the Friday next week; the Friday this week is "this Friday", "tomorrow", or "the day after tomrrow", as the case may be.www.ddhw.com

I concur. But people should include real dates if they're trying to schedule something.

Biggirl
06-21-2007, 10:04 AM
www.ddhw.com
If somebody said "next Friday" to me on a Thursday or a Wednesday, I'd probably take it to mean "not this coming Friday -- in a day or two -- but the next one after it." Move the day back to Tuesday or Monday and I'd want to know which Friday was meant. Sunday or Saturday, I'd be pretty sure it would be the one coming up within the same 7-day period.
www.ddhw.com

Many people in the office also said it depended on which day of the week they were told 'next Friday' as to which Friday was meant. Very imprecise, this English. Why do so many people speak it?

Diogenes the Cynic
06-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Next friday is the friday next week. This coming friday is "this friday," or just "friday." The whole point of adding the word "next" is to distinguish it from this friday. If "next friday" meant this friday then the word "next" would be superfluous and pointless.www.ddhw.com

I usually still ask for (and give) clarification, though, because so many people get it wrong.

essell
06-21-2007, 10:12 AM
To me, 'Next Friday' is the first day coming that's going to be a Friday.
The one after that is 'A-Week-Friday' or 'Friday-Week'www.ddhw.com

I've always used them that way, even in local business work, and it's never caused confusion that I've noticed, so I guess that's the norm for my area.

Biggirl
06-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Next friday is the friday next week. This coming friday is "this friday," or just "friday." The whole point of adding the word "next" is to distinguish it from this friday. If "next friday" meant this friday then the word "next" would be superfluous and pointless.

I usually still ask for (and give) clarification, though, because so many people get it wrong.www.ddhw.com

But next means the one coming. Next in line doesn't mean the person behind the first in line. Next week doesn't mean the week after the week coming. It's only when using it during the days of the week that 'next' all of a sudden means the one after next.

Anaamika
06-21-2007, 10:18 AM
www.ddhw.com
But next means the one coming. Next in line doesn't mean the person behind the first in line. Next week doesn't mean the week after the week coming. It's only when using it during the days of the week that 'next' all of a sudden means the one after next.
Gah! My eyes are glazing over! :) Must clarify with date.

Cervaise
06-21-2007, 10:18 AM
No no no. "This Friday" means two Fridays from now. "Next Friday" means last Friday. "Friday after next" means the twelfth Friday in 2009.www.ddhw.com

Man, no wonder we're all so confused.

Flutterby
06-21-2007, 10:19 AM
I am firmly with Zeldar on this one. In a business setting, I believe that any reference to a meeting ought to include the date. The meeting has been moved to Friday, June 22.

Exactly. Makes it harder to misunderstand (whether deliberately or by honest mistake).

As for how I understand it.
Friday = tomorrow
Next Friday = June 29
Friday after next = July 6www.ddhw.com

It's a logical progression. If next Friday is the 29th, then the one after next is July 6th (though if you go that next Friday is the 22nd, then after next would be the 29th).

Diogenes the Cynic
06-21-2007, 10:20 AM
www.ddhw.com
The convention of saying "next __day" contains an ellision. It's not really the day that's "next," but the week. "Next friday" is an ellided way to say "next [week's] friday." "Next" should be thought of as an abbreviation of "next week."

Orual
06-21-2007, 10:24 AM
www.ddhw.com

So do you never use the phrase "this Friday"? Or is it, to you, that "this __day" and "next __day" are synonymous?www.ddhw.com

English is weird.

Mangetout
06-21-2007, 10:24 AM
But next means the one coming. Next in line doesn't mean the person behind the first in line. Actually, it does mean that (or at least it does here), otherwise there would be no distinction between 'first' and 'next' and no need for two different terms.www.ddhw.com

'Who's next?" can be used to call the second person in line forward before the first person has left the front of the line - indeed, it can be used as a rude method of dismissing the person first in line.

Zeldar
06-21-2007, 10:26 AM
No no no. "This Friday" means two Fridays from now. "Next Friday" means last Friday. "Friday after next" means the twelfth Friday in 2009.

Man, no wonder we're all so confused.www.ddhw.com

Please allow me to smile. Let's just jettison the notion of precision and let words mean what we mean at the time and leave it to the other guy to figure out for himself (or herself) what it really means. Like, imagine this exchange:www.ddhw.com

A: How much change do you have?
B: Not much
A: Can I borrow half of it?
B: Well, it's only a dime.
A: Okay. May I have a nickel then?
B: It's only a dime.
A: So, "not much" equals "a dime"?
B: Today it does.

Mangetout
06-21-2007, 10:27 AM
And the term 'next' is similarly used in other contexts.www.ddhw.com

En route to the beach, we might realise we've forgotten the buckets and spades - and decide that next time we go to the beach, we'll have a checklist. But note - we're not actually at the beach, so 'next' refers to a visit beyond the one that is imminently happening.

Kalhoun
06-21-2007, 10:34 AM
For me, the next Friday that comes is "Friday" or "This Friday." When I say "next Friday" it means two Fridays from now.

Biggirl
06-21-2007, 10:34 AM

En route to the beach, we might realise we've forgotten the buckets and spades - and decide that next time we go to the beach, we'll have a checklist. But note - we're not actually at the beach, so 'next' refers to a visit beyond the one that is imminently happening.
Yes, but if you are already at the beach when you realize this, do you say, "I'll make a checklist the time after next?" Of course not. If you are at the beach, the next time you go to the beach is immediately after this time right now.

Ximeneanwww.ddhw.com
06-21-2007, 01:09 PM
If it does mean the first xxxday of next week, we also have to agree on which day the week starts. I understand that in the US, Sunday is considered the first day of the week. Here, I think most people would say Monday.

Little Plastic Ninja
06-21-2007, 01:19 PM
www.ddhw.com
This always gives me fits. So I tend to do it like this:

Tomorrow is "this coming Friday" (or it would have been earlier in the week; now it's "tomorrow")

June 29 is "next Friday" or, better, "Friday next week."www.ddhw.com

I try not to plan further ahead than that. :D

Thudlow Boink
06-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Someone left me a message on Tuesday that the meeting for Wednesday was moved to next Friday. To me 'next Friday' means, well, the next Friday-- or the Friday coming. The next Friday in line. You know, two days after the first scheduled meeting.www.ddhw.com

The message leaver, however meant what I would call 'the following Friday'. Or, 'Friday AFTER next'. Nope, says message leaver, I would have said "The meeting was moved from Wednesday to Friday" if I had meant the coming Friday.This is what I would have assumed: that if it was the Friday of this week, the message leaver would have just said "Friday"—there would be no reason for the "next."www.ddhw.com

One important point is that this happened in a work-related context, where time goes in discrete weeks. There's this week (and then you're off for the weekend), next week (then another weekend), the week after that, etc. So you would think of things as happening "this week" or "next week" or "last week," and if you want to specify a particular day of the week in question, it would be "this Friday" or "next Friday" or "last Friday."

Crotalus
06-21-2007, 02:12 PM
I forgot to describe how I describe these days in casual usage. I know you all were holding your breath. I don't use "next Friday" at all. If it's this week, it's simply Friday. If it's next week, I say "Friday of next week".

lowbrasswww.ddhw.com
06-21-2007, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't use the term "next Friday" because it's too confusing, except in the specific case that it happens to be Friday, and you're referring to the Friday exactly one week away (and even that could potentially be confusing).

Assuming it's not Friday, if it's the first Friday coming up, I would say "Friday", and if it's the following week, I'd say, "a week from Friday".www.ddhw.com

[How did I not see Crotalus' post?] :smack:

amarinth
06-21-2007, 03:04 PM
It depends on context and requires clarification. But "next Friday" has no definite meaning on its own other than - one of the two upcoming Fridays.

When it's contrasted to "this Friday," then it's the 29th.

"Friday after next" is either the 29th or the 6th.www.ddhw.com

If you actually need people to know what date you're talking about (as opposed to just sharing small talk), you need to use the actual date.

Patty O'Furniture
06-21-2007, 07:53 PM

I think it's a mistake to compare a word in dissimilar contexts to figure out what meaning that same word carrier in a single particular phrase. Next Friday might mean two Fridays away but that meaning doesn't necessarily have to carry over into "next in line" meaning the second person in line. And next door neighbor is clearly the person in the adjacent house, not two doors down.

This Friday is the 22nd.
Next Friday is the 29th.
The Friday after next is too vague and I would not let that pass without clarification.www.ddhw.com

Next question?

ArchiveGuy
06-21-2007, 08:02 PM
For me, the next Friday that comes is "Friday" or "This Friday." When I say "next Friday" it means two Fridays from now.What if you're speaking on a Saturday? Would the Friday of next week be "this Friday" because it is the most immediate Friday moving forward? Or would the fact that it's next week make it "next" regardless?www.ddhw.com

For me, "next Friday" always means "the Friday next week". Maybe "this Friday" has passed, maybe it hasn't, but that doesn't change the meaning of "next" in the context.

Suburban Plankton
06-21-2007, 09:59 PM
We have a difference of opinion here in our household:

I think that this question should have been posted in Great Debates, while Rhiannon8404 thinks it should have been in General Questions.
www.ddhw.com

As to the question itself, "next Friday" is the Friday that is between 7 and 13 days from the day that the statement is made.

Max the Immortal
06-22-2007, 06:55 AM
"Friday" and "this Friday" mean the Friday coming later this week.
For the Friday of the coming week, I say "Friday next week".
I only say "next Friday" if it is in fact Friday and I'm referring to the Friday of next week.
www.ddhw.com

Mangetout
06-22-2007, 07:29 AM
www.ddhw.com
Yes, but if you are already at the beach when you realize this, do you say, "I'll make a checklist the time after next?" Of course not. If you are at the beach, the next time you go to the beach is immediately after this time right now.
Yes, and if it is Friday, then Next Friday is (probably) the Friday coming first after now, although it would be a bit ambiguous.

What we're talking about here is nothing more than a social convention - this isn't logic, it's language.

Mangetout
06-22-2007, 07:32 AM
www.ddhw.com
I think it's a mistake to compare a word in dissimilar contexts to figure out what meaning that same word carrier in a single particular phrase.I wasn't trying to do that - but where a word is known to be used similarly in two different contexts, it can be used as an illustrative analogy of how the subject being discussed isn't complete nonsense.

Sapo
06-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Waiting for the OP to tell us if there was a meeting today...

FordPrefect
06-22-2007, 01:44 PM
www.ddhw.com
Seeing as next Friday is the start of my vacation, it is not soon enough.

Arnold Winkelried
06-22-2007, 07:55 PM
www.ddhw.com
I have this problem with my wife all the time. For her, "next Friday" means in a week's time or more - "next week's Friday" to use Diogenes the Cynic's term. For her, "this Friday" is the Friday that will appear first in the future - what I would call "next Friday".www.ddhw.com

For that reason, I have given up on the expression "next Friday". And when someone says to me "next Friday", I always do some swift mental arithmetic and (supposing it's Monday) I will ask "Do you mean Friday 4 days from today or Friday 11 days from today?"

DMark
06-23-2007, 06:06 AM
Well, Friday is over, but the meeting is coming up - at least the way I see it.
NEXT Friday is always after THIS Friday. Otherwise, you say, THIS Friday.www.ddhw.com

Slightly off topic, but English can be very unspecific.
If a magazine comes out bi-monthly, did you know that can mean either six times a year OR 24 times a year?
Both are technically "bi-monthly" - it can mean every other month or twice a month!
Try to explain that to an ESL student.

China Guy
06-23-2007, 06:23 AM
I'm with DMark, there is this Friday and next Friday. Next Friday is always after this Friday. www.ddhw.com

Don't any of you use a mail calendar like Exchange to schedule meetings. You send it out, people accept, and if the time changes, it get's updated so users don't have to worry about if next Friday means next Friday. And you don't have to call people to leave voice mail to schedule meeting changes. Dunno - Big Girl, are you working for the government or something?

robardin
06-23-2007, 10:24 AM
It's a very simple progression.

First, there's (this) Friday (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113118/).
Second, there's Next Friday (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0195945/).
After that, it's Friday After Next (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293815/).www.ddhw.com

All referring to distinct and different things and in that chronological order.

Case closed.

vBulletin® v3.7.3, Copyright ©2000-2011, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

13#
发表于 2011-5-10 21:57:15 | 只看该作者

回复:类似于开开心心给的数学题, 我问一个英文用法的问题

coming friday is this friday, next friday is next week Friday
www.ddhw.com

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

8万

积分

14#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-5-11 01:18:36 | 只看该作者

从天涯浪子给的外国人的讨论看,大多数是认同中国人的用法,即next Friday等于

"下个星期的Friday" (the Friday of next week). 

但是, 认为next Friday就是the coming Friday的老美也是很有道理的: Friday 是一个专用名词, next Friday 就是一个形容词"下一个"修饰一个名词"星期五", 简单的很, 也就是the coming Friday, 你老中为什么私自把它引伸成next week's Friday呢? 要打起官司的话,恐怕老美会赢老中呢! 但实用上, 老美的用法真的是很使人confused, 他们自己跟自己过不去啊.  还是中文好.
 www.ddhw.com
中文比英文优越的地方太多了. 我觉得,中文最大的好处就是许多名词(病名,商品名,器件名)可以"望文生义",不需要专业知识,也不需要强记. 而英文中许多名词(病名,商品名,器件名)根本无法"望文生义",要强记,往往只有专业人士才懂. 比如看到"老年痴呆症",99%的认识中文的人都知道(或猜出)个大概, 但又有几个人知道 Alzheimer's disease是什么东东呢? 这种例子有太多太多了. 为我们的中文自豪

www.ddhw.com

本贴由[husonghu]最后编辑于:2011-5-10 17:20:24  

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

35万

积分

15#
发表于 2011-5-11 02:23:34 | 只看该作者

不是认同中国人用法[:-M]

这亦是英语正宗文法。

same week的,不用next. 无论是星期二说 next Friday,还是星期六说 next Friday,都是指下个星期的星期五。

www.ddhw.com

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

16#
发表于 2011-5-11 06:30:34 | 只看该作者

如指本周五 啥都不用加 不用next 说Friday就好: Please come Friday

In this instance it's pretty much the same as saying

Please come on Friday.
  Please come this Friday.
  Please come Friday this week.www.ddhw.com
  Please come Friday tomorrow.  
  Please come this coming Friday.
  Please come on this coming Friday.

But if I can get the same across with the simple 

Please come Friday,

why do I 画蛇添足?

当然, Please come Friday 也可意味着从今以后的每个 Friday -- until the piano teacher tells her student
 www.ddhw.com
     Let's change our meeting time.  Please come Saturday.

****************************************************************************************www.ddhw.com
 www.ddhw.com
 www.ddhw.com
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

35万

积分

17#
发表于 2011-5-11 19:21:36 | 只看该作者

若然意味着从今以后的每个Friday 就会有前言或后语.....

....就不会只用〝Please come Friday〞三字这么简单了。